Sunday, October 18, 2009

C is for Cookie and Computer

Ainsley dreads Fridays because that is when her class has computers. It is not uncommon for Ainsley to come home with tears in her eyes as she recounts the teacher's insensitive comments to the class. As a result, Ainsley now saves her "lucky jumper" for Friday. Whether it is to lend her courage or to overcome the bad computer class kharma, I haven't heard. I am not sure what makes the jumper lucky. I encouraged Ainsley to do something nice for the teacher as a peace offering. I also suggested that Ainsley visit the school counselor to discuss how this teacher makes her feel. (Again, I'm not sure what exactly a school counselor's official purpose is, but my girls love to visit their counselor.) Ainsley would only confide in her counselor after she promised Ainsley not to reveal to the computer teacher where the complaint came from.

During dinner tonight, Ainsley told me that she needs to take some cookies to a teacher at school tomorrow, or that she could substitute candy, if we were out of cookies. After a few more questions, I figured out that Ainsley had promised the computer teacher on Friday that she would bring Halloween sugar cookies for her on Monday. It figures that while I had forgotten my advice from back in August to do something nice for the teacher, Ainsley had only been waiting until we had sugar cookie dough in the freezer.

Between Audrey's cold and mine, I didn't go to the grocery store last week. As we always run out of the fun stuff in the pantry first, I didn't have any more exciting after-school snacks. I decided to throw together some sugar cookies when Zach had a little friend come over.

It's a Williams-Sonoma sugar cookie recipe, so the cookies are fine, but the icing is the ready made orange-tinted, vanilla-flavored kind that comes with sprinkles. You know the kind that requires a glass of water to make it go down. Obviously, I wasn't making these with adults in mind,and I didn't put sprinkles on the teacher's cookies, so I hope the teacher will decide that it's the thought that counts. We'll see if it makes a difference in computer class on Friday.

Sydney convinced me to give them each a sugar cookie for their lunch box tomorrow, but to put the icing in little baggies so that they could ice their own cookie. I can't decide if that makes me the coolest mom ever or the worst mom ever. At least I won't have to clean up Zach's mess when he's done. I guess I will be making cookies for the lunch custodian and for Zach's two teachers after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment