Thursday, November 12, 2009

Weather and my husband, MacGyver

I have to make one statement about my last post, well maybe two: 1) it is possible that the guy from Ft Hood showed us what he thought prior to last week through the posts on blogs, communication with alleged extremists, sending money to Pakistan, 2) a psychiatrist shouldn't need the same excuse to compensate for an inability to communicate orally, as my five year old does, so people should have probably believed him before he got this far.

Today was the coldest winter day I've experienced in years. The ice storm while we were in SA was a true winter storm, but I did not step foot outside my house that entire three days, so that doesn't count. Yesterday, the wind blow three of our umbrellas inside out. Today it was below 50, raining, and blowing the flags straight out to the side while I walked around in my rain coat, fleece pants, a tshirt, and flipflops. Fortunately, one of my friends had previously volunteered to watch my kids so that I could have a few hours to myself. I went shopping and now own my first ever pair of rain boots. Last week I bought a puffy mid-lenght white coat. The matching belt lends moral support rather than actually creating a waistline. Zach keeps telling me that his puffy coat (I think the trade name is frost-free) makes him look fat and chubby. I let him go without it once today so that he could see the difference it makes when he walks outside. Audrey took her coat off everytime we rode in the car, so I stood in the rain, under my newly broken umbrella, hastily pulling on her coat and doing the zipper.

Neil updated his blog with a few pictures and stories. The pictures definitely needed explaining, so read the stories first. There was one guy with what looked like wound dressing on his abdomen and then an ace bandage around his face, with some tubes. Neil and another guy are posing next to him and smiling. I could not understand how this was a happy moment. Apparently, Neil and his buddy MacGyver'd some stuff to make a mask that helped this guy to live. The next shot was of a person on the operating table, or should I say operating stretcher. The DeWalt cordless power drill looked a little out of place on the stand next to the other surgical tools. It turns out that Neil used the power drill to stabilize a fracture instead of doing it by hand. Either way, it sounds like controlled trauma at it's painful best and should remind us how much we love our anesthesiologist. I mentioned the blog and the power drill to the DeWalt marketing department because wouldn't you like to know if something you made helped to save someone's life? www.neilonthemoon.blogspot.com

One more thing about the weather-I had to get gas today. Unluckily for me, I stopped at the one remaining station on the eastern seaboard that does not have pay at the pump capability. As I sloshed through the rain in my flip flops, with my broken umbrella, I don't think I have ever been more excited to go shopping. I retired the broken umbrella, but didn't have to replace it as I bought four umbrellas back in August, when we were trying to beat Seattle at it's own game.

I know weather might seem boring, but when it's the worst winter day I can remember, and it's not yet the middle of November, it's really interesting to me. I wonder what it will be like here when it's the end of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment