Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dusting off the blog: The accidental foodie

It turns out that I haven't written on my blog since September. How sad is that? I just cannot find the time, or make the time, as Neil would say. In fact, I am sitting down at the computer right now because the kids are all asleep, and Neil won't be home for another thirty minutes. The fact that I do not have time at night to blog says volumes about Neil's schedule. He is home a lot more than I expected, which is wonderful. Nine months into the year, I am beginning to feel healed from our last year in San Antonio and our year in North Carolina.

I sat at Panera the other day, reading a book and eating a so-so sandwich and a huge salad. I have never noticed this before, but eating a salad without a table is difficult to manage gracefully. While I attempted this, I watched the people around me. The Panera in Needham is constantly packed. Some people are business men and women having a working lunch. Others are retired couples enjoying an incredibly healthy meal (healthier than what I usually eat) and checking their receipts. Finally, there are stay at home moms with little kids, or without kids but holding a book or working on a laptop. I was struck by how people gathered at this restaurant on a cold, blustery day. (After this winter I understand the meaning of " blustery.") The thought crossed my mind that wouldn't it be great if I could sit at home, having the same comforting and relaxing experience?

I have decided that to make April, the month normally filled with stress and craziness on par with December, a month for me to be the angel of the house. Why shouldn't I look forward to lounging on my chaise (that has been nicknamed "Mommy Couch"), with a delicious meal and a good book? Maybe I have mentioned this before, but when I was eighteen and read The Awakening by Kate Chopin, I decided that I would be the "Angel of the House." I vowed that I would never be the unfulfilled mom who drowns herself because she cannot be happy with her beautiful children, etc. Unfortunately, I am not normally the angel of the house kind of girl. Luckily, I'm not the "other" mom either.

My goal for the month is to eat at home every meal that is not related to a birthday celebration. Since we are not in Texas, I will only have four meals off. If we were in Texas, I'd have off April 12, 14,15 22,25,29, and my bday, the 30th. If that were the case, I'd be eating carrots and Progresso soup every other day to make up for all the birthday celebrations.

Neil is home, so I'm off to hang out with him. I will post a menu next time.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Sarah. I can so relate... I think I might be visiting Starbucks soon... since we have no Panera in town... I'm sure that will stir up some controversy since I can't go anywhere and not see someone I know! I love their free internet access and carmel apple cider! (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, your angel of the house quote has stayed in my mind today. I think I should read that book you mentioned. I loved your great example of happy mothering. You and your children were always smiling-and that is a habit I hope to develop sometime in my life. Maybe you could write more about that in May, a how to guide on happy mothering.

    ReplyDelete