Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 1: The Menu

This menu was inspired by a good friend from our BAMC days, Christen Jensen. Each day of the week was dedicated to a certain type of meal. From there she customized a menu for each week. After thinking of the things I like to make, I came up with seven meal themes. I might use each of the themes in the course of a week, or I might not. It will depend on the other meals that I am serving. My guess is that you already have these same categories:

Beef
Chicken
Pork
Sammy nite (This is what Rachel Ray calls Sandwich night.)
Vegetarian (But not vegan-I am not that hard core.)
Fish
Pizza

Unfortunately, I had to go to the store before I created my menu. Last week I had midterms and a head cold. I did not have the time or energy to cook or grocery shop. By the time I took my last test Friday morning, Audrey was looking for a snack and was not satisfied with her options: bread or fruit snacks. While Ainsley was at ballet Friday afternoon, I did some shopping. I tried to plan my menu around the things in my newly stocked kitchen cabinets.

Ideally one would create a menu that allows them to reuse their ingredients. That is great, but I do not care for leftovers. Well, I like leftover Mexican food from Guadalajara's in Houston, but not much else. Instead I buy and fix only what we will eat.

Week 1 Menu
Saturday: Pizza--Take and bake, from Cost-co. (This only marginally counts, I know.)
Sunday: Soup--White Bean Chili
Monday: Chicken--Lemon Chicken, Broccoli Gratin, salad, fruit for the kids
Tuesday: Fish--fish tacos with broccoli slaw, served with black beans and pineapple
Wednesday: Pork--Orange Glazed Pork, rice pilaf, green peas and salad
Thursday: Vegetarian--Fettucine Alfredo, broccoli, salad and fruit
Friday: Sammy nite--Hamburgers, sweet potato fries, salad and fruit

I will post the recipes another time, but here are the credits:
White Bean Chili and fettucine alfredo are my versions of Rachel Ray recipes
Orange glazed pork, rice pilaf, lemon chicken and broccoli gratin are from Jessica Seinfeld
Sweet potato fries are Paula Deen

2 comments:

  1. Love the categories! I hadn't thought of that. I usually do a mix of easy & more labor intensive recipes & also make sure I have a mix of the different meat categories. Have you seen the magazine Simple & Delicious?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all that cooking, do you have many leftovers? Don't forget the ever popular Leftover night! I always try to put a positive spin on it that it is like a buffet. Then my people remind me that the reason they didn't eat it all the first time around was because they didn't like it! Too bad! Eat it again, or we will have enough for leftover night tomorrow, too!

    ReplyDelete