Friday, September 25, 2009

Book Club

I finally found someone who took my Dan Brown Challenge! I published the comment under that blog, so if you don't want to know much about the book, don't look for the comment. Their opinion was that I get to keep drinking my non-diet Coke because I was mostly right. Too bad I'm trying to give up Coke because of the calories and Diet Coke because it still has High Fructose Corn Syrup and really doesn't taste that great. Diet Coke is only a step up from Houtson tap water.

My author du jour is Cecilia Ahern. Her first book, PS I Love You, made me cry all the way through it; however, I was amazed by the insightful portrayal of the grieving process. At the time she wrote the book, Ahern was only 21 years old. She also happens to be the daughter of the Prime Minister of Ireland. Most of her books, if not all of them, are set there, which is a nice break from every other novel about either England, New York, California, or Paris.

This week I read Rosie Dunne and There's No Place Like Here. Rosie Dunne tells the story of a pair of best friends from the time they are five until they are fifty using an interesting format. There's No Place Like Here is an imaginative, almost whimsical, portrayal of usually serious and tragic subject matter.

I find in Ahern a well developed ability to infuse her insight into human nature into characters, dialogue, and plot. There's No Place Like Home deals with a character who is OCD, showing the reader what the character's life is like in it's different stages and describes the effect this has on their interactions with family, friends, and loved ones.

I'm off to bed as Audrey won't fall asleep tonight and it's almost 11PM my time. It could be the million mosquito bites she got on Thursday. It's like living in Houston-mosquitoes and humidity...

No comments:

Post a Comment