Friday, September 11, 2009

Stars and Stripes Forever

It's been a long day and I only have a brief comment.

Most Americans of a certain age can remember where they were when they heard the news eight years ago. It used to be that people would have this conversation about the death of JFK, but not anymore. I was playing with the girls at home or feeding them breakfast before we went out shopping with a few friends. The thought popped into my mind that I should turn on the tv, and it happened to be on one of the big 3 stations leftover from the night before. I watched as the plane flew into the building. Once I recovered a little, my first thought was what if the economy falls apart? Will I be able to feed my family? So I went to the grocery store to get food for 4 days, water, and cash. Our apartment was in the middle of a flight path for Hobby Airport. For those three days, I missed the familiar sounds of the planes. It was surreal the first time, then, that I heard one up in the sky again. I was grateful to have my girls so close by and Neil just down the street.

For the first time in my life, we flew a flag. Having a husband who was in the Army, although in an inactive reserve status, meant something entirely different after that morning. If someone had told me we would still be at war eight years later, I would not have believed them. I remembered watching the Gulf War on tv when I was in 8th grade, and it was over so fast.

I think of how different the world was after WWII or Vietnam. How has our world or our country changed in the past eight years? Will the men and women who continue this fight follow their grandfathers in becoming one of the greatest generations in our nation's history?

Finally, I am grateful for my faith in God. His plan of redemption through His Son was laid long before this tragedy happened and it allows for all of those who mourn to be comforted. As I commented to my children about the firefighters who ran up the stairs instead of following the crowd out, I ask Who else has sacrificed their life to save others? Wouldn't He, then, be happy to have such courageous and selfless men and women, people willing to follow His example in very deed, in His presence in Heaven? Everyone says that the Gospel is the good news of Christ. But I think the good news of Christ is that He is the God of happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment