Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sydney's favorite story, trivia, & a glossary

When I was growing up, my dad used to call me the littlest angel because I rarely got in trouble, at least at school. Sydney's favorite story about when I was in high school is about the only time I really got in trouble with a teacher. The person behind me was leaning back in their chair and I was turned around in my seat talking to them. They started to lose their balance, so I put my hand on his desk to push it back down. Apparently the teacher didn't catch the whole episode and yelled at me for pushing the guy over in his chair. As if. It's funny now, though. For some reason, Sydney loves this story.

I was reminded of that story because I recently learned a few things about North Carolina, and geography in general, that I either wasn't taught or was too busy talking to people behind me to learn. Somehow I never knew that Fayetteville NC actually existed; I only knew of the city in Arkansas. I learned this Fayetteville existed when Neil called to tell me that we were moving here back at the end of last February. I learned yesterday that Fayetteville is named after a Frenchman, Lafayette, who faught with the Americans in the Revolutionary War. Of course, I'd heard of the guy, but never thought about it enough to realize the connection with the name of the city. I learned that this Fayetteville is the only city named after him that Lafayette ever visited. Today I read that there is a little town in NC called Washington that was the first town to ever be named after George Washington. Interesting but seemingly useless information.

Back in the day, I enjoyed history class. I only decided to study Spanish instead of history because I thought you could have more fun in a Spanish class than you could in a history class. I can remember teachers' rooms at Stratford invariably had posters about the need to learn history so that we wouldn't repeat it. There's another reason to study history that I discovered the hard way quite a few years ago: if you are going to interact intelligently with people who played a role in forging our nation's history, you need to know what happened and have an idea of where it happened.

Neil and I were at the VA in Houston doing a service project with the other military medical students. We were speaking with an older patient who was obviously well educated and successful. He was in the hospital for less serious reasons than many of the other patients in the room. As we spoke, he began telling us what it was like to march in the Batan death march. In all my years of school, I had never heard of this, and I couldn't believe it. Needless to say it was mortifying when I had to acknowledge that I'd never heard of this event. We need to learn history, even military history, so that we can appreciate the sacrifices of those who've gone before us.

In an effort not to repeat that experience, I've read many books on military history. If you'd ever like a list, let me know. You just need to be prepared to take a black sharpie to most of the books as you read. Apparently the saying about a sailor's mouth is true of soldiers as well. That way you can let your children or spouse read them without worrying. I know the world thinks Tom Hanks is a genius, but watching Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers on Spike isn't the same as reading the book.

In that spirit of teaching military history, I've decided to give you a glossary of terms/Army acronyms that I use on a regular basis. They might not be history, but they are useful:

KISS-my favorite acronym and the words I live by: Keep It Simple, Sweetheart. (In some circles, read: the regular Army, it's "Stupid", but I like my version better.)

Down Range-Neil tried to explain to me why they say this, but I don't remember. Nice, I know. But it means to be in a combat zone. As in "We'll send that to the guys down range."

POC- Point of Contact; this a useful acronym for doing business

PX-Post Exchange or the place to go shopping on Post. This isn't the Commissary. It's more like a Target. It is run by AAFES.

AAFES-Army Air Force Exchange System. They run all shopping/dining establisments on Post or Base.

FOB-Forward Operating Base (This is what Neil is stationed on. Not to be confused with a CASH)

CASH-Similar to a MASH from back in the Korean War. Combat Aid Support Hospital.

MEDEVAC-Medical Evacuation. This is the transport for the patients that Neil receives or sends on for further care.

OPTEMPO-Operational Tempo; The rate at which units are deployed. For example, the last I heard, the OPTEMPO for general surgeons was 6 months every 18.

SOP-Standard Operating Procedures; again this is useful for business.

V/R-This is specifically used on official emails and I never understood it until I just looked it up: Very Respectfully. How many of you would use that as a closing in an email? I imagine that this is one of the more recently created acronyms.

I also happen to write times like they do in the army and I tell my kids on a regular basis to turn to their 3 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment