Thursday, September 10, 2009

Joe Wilson in 2010

My first reaction to the news of Obama's speech was to wonder why Mr. Valerie Plame would call Obama a liar. Weren't they supposed to be on the same anti-Bush team? I'm sure Joe Wilson is a common name, but how many could there be in the national political arena? My second thought was of Wilson's wife: how mortifying to recognize your husband's lone voice in the middle of the President's speech.

We all agree that calling the President a liar in any forum isn't the classiest thing a person could do. Hence the appropriately quick apology to Obama. On the other hand, the yelling from the rest of the audience was equally as tacky. Maybe it's my Aggie upbringing, but I don't yell "boo" at anyone. The entire evening was one big campaign rally complete with a speech meant to convince people instead of provide specifics, heckling from the opposition, and a raucous defense by the President's peeps.

After the speech, Wilson's opponent for next year's race received some nice donations. Has anyone even heard his name yet? From what I hear, that money is going to paying down his campaign account's debt. (Nice. Even the politicians who haven't been elected run on a deficit. No wonder the large numbers tossed around this year haven't bothered anyone.)


I think the freshman Joe Wilson knocked one out of the political park last night! This has little to do with political leanings and everything to do with how to play the game. Yesterday, nobody outside of Wilson's district knew who he was; today his website is down due to high volume. The Master Card commercial comes to mind as I consider the publicity that this guy bought for himself: Priceless. After the last 18 months, the Republican base is clammering for someone who will throw the emergency brake on the Obama Train. Whether or not they agree with Wilson's actions, Republicans will flock to his courage. Millions will consider him the maverick that John McCain could never be. As an incumbent in a Republican district, his campaign is off to a formidable start. The other guy, ol' what's his name, doesn't stand a chance.

The Democrats in Congress, are, of course, shocked and outraged by the egregious* behavior. Blah, blah, blah. We all know the Democratic leadership wishes someone on their team had done this to Bush years ago. Cindi Shehan didn't generate this kind of publicity and they know it.


(*BTW, I know egregious is the correct word for this situation, but would you appalled to learn that I've never used it in a sentence and had to guess at the correct usage? Sorry, Dad & Dr Black.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Joe got a whole lot of free publicity for his actions. And, honestly, I don't think it was out of place. Why? Well, I don't seem to remember the founding fathers or the many of the 1700/1800 Congressional/Senatorial office holders being so 'mum' when seriously controversial issues were discussed, regardless of who was speaking. If I remember correctly, many things about the Constitution came to frequent shouting matches. So, I do question why it's wrong that Joe shouted what he, and so many other American's, felt? I thought the apology was in poor taste.

    Obama couldn't say he didn't hear Mr. Wilson they way he claims he doesn't hear a large majority of individuals against the Obama plan. That's for sure.

    I didn't expect anything less than the performance Obama gave. I was disgusted that he would say, "We'll call you out." Okay, um... I think recent Town Halls have 'called you out' sir.

    Anyway... I am glad it was said. Besides, a lot worse phrases and word choices could have been uttered. "You Lie!" certainly is the most polite thing that could have been yelled.

    Oh! And about the boo-ing. I have to agree there. I think a hiss works more better. Boo-ing has seemed to have lost it's effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete