Thursday, August 20, 2009

Real Estate

Once our stuff arrived here in NC a month ago, I began unpacking the kitchen. I figured that was the fastest way to sanity. Neil worked on the living room, and soon we had two rooms where we could relax. Over the course of the next 5 weeks, I worked on every room. Neil worked on the things that involved him: his stuff, the garage, moving big things, or electronics. He was busy checking the boxes for arriving at a new hospital, preparing for deployment and taking his board exam.

Before the movers left back in July, they unloaded every box into piles in the designated rooms. Unfortunately, I still haven't put anything of mine away. My stuff is still all in piles in my room. I have been too busy organizing and then keeping up with the day to day stuff to secret myself away in my closet. Since Neil unloaded his stuff first, he took the prime closet spots and all of the dresser drawers. However, now that he is gone, I'm taking over his space for my clothes.

Instead of unloading and organizing my stuff, I'm going back through Neil's stuff first. I've been weeding things out for the thrift store (I've thrown out all of his pants with a 34 length), finding dress shirts that need to be cleaned (somehow almost every dress shirt needed to be washed-being squished in boxes weren't good for them), throwing out old socks, etc. I've even found 2 pair of pants with tags that haven't been tailored or hemmed. We'll chalk that up to having better things to do on your day off than head to the tailor...Those and his Bill Khaki's that have been tailored are the only slacks he has left.

Last night, I moved all of his hanging clothes to the highest rack behind the closet door. That way I can have the racks that are front and center. I even emptied out his drawers and will be storing his clothes in little bins in the closet (the Haley's have great built in shelves in their closet) and in the spare dresser in Sydney's room. I'm not sure what will happen when he gets home, but until then, my room will be clean. And I will be so happy to see him in Feb-March that I might actually iron all of the dress shirts that I've had to wash (and I never iron anything!)and share my closet space with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment