Sunday, August 23, 2009

Recommended Reading

Everyone who knows me knows that I love to read. I love to read books from all kinds of genres as long as they are closer to PG 13 than not. Finding well written books like this can be hard to find sometimes. I'm not super consistent with what I'll tolerate and what I won't. My general rule of thumb is that if my 17 yr old babysitters picked up the book, would I be ashamed. Wierd, I know.

Anyway, I just read the Eragon Trilogy that I've come to find out is now a "series" because the kid who wrote them couldn't wrap everything up in his 800-page 3rd book. I was wondering how it would all end when there was less than 100 pages and the beginnings of the conclusion were nowhere to be found. Chris Paolini is a tremendous author, especially for someone so young. I think he tries to imitate Tolkien, but there are times when his lack of maturity shows through his writing. Although his second and third books were a little long-winded, he does well at addressing topics such as religion, bravery, honor, loyalty, honesty, family and community.

The book I read today was awesome and a much faster read! I enjoy reading books about India, written by Indian authors. (I never saw Slum Dog millionaire.) Unfortunately, most books about India are absolutely depressing. The Space Between Us had me crying by the end as did some book about Bangladesh independence. The Village Bride of Beverly Hills and other books by the same author were not depressing at all. ( I cannot remember her name.) The Marriage Bureau for Rich People that I read today was funny and upbeat. I honestly kept waiting for poorer characters to have their lives ruined by either a wicked mother in law or a dishonest man preying on poor women's naivete and illiteracy. (These themes come up often.) The author even writes some informative mini essays about India, the caste system, etc, that were supposedly written by one of the characters. These are kind of the epilogue, but I thought it was a brilliant way to enlighten the readers without sidetracking the reader the way Chris Paolini does.

For what it's worth, that's what I've read lately. My next book, along the same lines, is called The Writing on My Forehead.

People keep telling me to read the Kite Runner and something about Elephants. Has anyone read these? Are they sad books?

Finally, Cecilia Ehren, the author of PS I love you, has written quite a few books. I've only read her first one. The rest of her books are on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment