Saturday, August 15, 2009

Stinks on Ice

I really thought that today would stink on ice, like Glen Beck says. We got up at 5am to take Neil to the airport, so that's a bad start right there. Only Neil gets up that early on a regular basis in our family; there's a reason I'm not a dr...

Until this last Monday, we've kept the discussion about Neil leaving very vague so that the children wouldn't become unnecessarily upset. Last Monday evening, we had a family meeting about it. We discussed it again in depth on Thursday evening and Neil gave the children each a blessing of comfort and safety. Friday evening we held family prayer one last time, and then this morning, we all walked Neil into the airport.

It was packed! I'm not sure who voluntarily travels at 0530 on a Saturday with children in tow, but they were there in force. Now we saw why Neil was told not to check any baggage! We found out, as the kids were saying goodbye, that we could have sat in the baggage check line to receive a gate pass to walk with him through security, say goodbye when he boarded, and watched the plane drive away. Unfortunately, the plane was going to begin boarding by the time we sat through the line, so we didn't get to do that. Neil's parents took the kids so that I could say goodbye. I don't really like crying in front of other people, and I didn't want to lose it in front of my kids. Somehow I held it together, though, so I didn't cause a scene.

We went back to the hotel, and I took a nap while Zach and Audrey watched tv. The girls napped in Nana and Papa's room. I did wake to Zach turning on the garbage disposal. Later that morning we went to the mall for retail therapy. Retail therapy for mom does not involve little kids' help, so it was mainly for the kids. (Ann got some cute shoes.) We ate Moe's for lunch, so that made the kids feel better, although we missed Laurel and Rob! Sydney is so proud to have been given her first Bobbi Brown lipgloss by her Nana. It's called Confetti. Now that she is in fifth grade, she can wear some lipgloss to school. I was thinking drugstore, but her Nana came through for her!

Audrey wore big girl panties all day today, even travelling and sleeping in the car. It's my fourth child, so I will not be excited about potty training. It is an inconvenience and is only to be celebrated with the child in the potty. I do not do dances, I do not give candy (very often), I hate it unless I am around her.

Then I think it's the most fabulous thing in the world to use the bathroom and give all kinds encouragement. Because really, she's the cutest little kid I know and deserves to have fun on the potty even though I will not willingly publicize it. That's what makes single people or married couples without kids hate their friends who become parents. Because what self respecting grown up discusses the bathroom in a normal conversation with other adults? Anyway, we're potty training, so don't ask me about it. :)

We relaxed most of the rest of the day, went to Wal Mart, ate dinner, and more relaxing. My biggest problem when Neil is on call is that I never want to go to bed because he's not there. So I"m not sure how to relax and go to bed for the next 6 months. Overall, though, today has been much easier than I ever expected. I owe it all to my belief that families are eternal. Knowing that I will see Neil again, that my children will see Neil again, whether it's in 6 months or in heaven, allows me to move on without quite so much panic. Texting back and forth with him all day today didn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment