Monday, August 31, 2009

The weather and food, aka a slow day

I have enjoyed the weather here in Fayetteville. It seems like it should be Springtime, not the dog days of summer. It rains almost every day, it doesn't get hotter than 95. In fact, the high was 71 today. The humidity is sometimes as bad as Houston's, but I know what I could be facing in San Antonio, and I'm not complaining. Maybe the fact that my husband's not around makes me less concerned with how my hair holds up in the humidity. Today I bought each of the older kids a raincoat and umbrella for their backpacks so that they could walk to and from school if it's drizzling. I'm not heartless enough to make them walk home in pooring rain, but I sat at their school for 50 minutes this afternoon so that I could get a parking spot in a light drizzle. My kids can tough it out to save me that much time. Hopefully Zach won't turn his umbrella into a light saber at school-that's what he was trying today in the car.

I have to admit it was nice to just drop Audrey off at the CDC so I could relax. Due to the light rain, I didn't get to go on the long walk and horse back riding as I had planned. However, I did get to do step aerobics and go shop at Target without kids asking for a toy from every aisle.

I've heard from another Texan that there is TexMex restaurant somewhere around here that is worth eating at. I couldn't find it today, but I'm going to keep trying. My friend said they were going to retire in SA just so they could have Taco Cabana. I miss Taco C, but I really miss the actual Mexican food restaurants in SA. Not the fast food ones.

For those of you from Houston, I miss Guadalajara's something fierce. Neil thinks that my obsession with that restaurant is a factor of memories and comfort food. He doesn't think their food is that great. I try to tell him he might get struck by lightning for saying that. In a city the size of Houston, where else can you go to a relatively new branch of a franchise and have the manager recognize you from all the times you visited his other franchise? We went to the Guadalajara's Del Centro right before we moved from TX. (For those of you still in Houston, BTW, this is now the only Guadalajara's worth going to. The atmosphere is much better, the only crazy kids ever in there are mine and I live in North Carolina now, and there's never a long wait. Plus they take reservations.) The manager recognized me from all the times I've been to the Guadala's on the Katy Fwy. I haven't lived in Houston in 6 years, have probably only eaten there 2 times a year during that time, and he still remembers me.

I spoke with a friend from Fed Ex who says that Fed Ex ships food all the time. We're trying to figure out how to get it mailed here without having to harvest my kidney to pay for it.

Other than that, the kids are good. They are making friends at school and getting back in the habit of doing homework. Sydney was glad today that when her teacher said no one really knew how the earth got here and how we got here, that she knew. But she didn't think it was her place to correct the teacher and explain to her all about creation because her teacher hadn't asked. Syd was glad to know something that her teacher didn't know. Zach is doing well but is missing having Dad around. He tells me sometimes that he's tired of girls. I'm wishing he had a male teacher at school, but he'll be fine. He's learning all kinds of sayings in Spanish, so I help him review his words. It takes a lot more concentration than normal kinder would have because he has to figure out what the teachers are saying. Sometimes he'll come home and when I ask him what he learned today or did, he'll tell me that he doesn't know and he'll just shake his head. He's my sweet boy but I'm not allowed to call him that now that's he's 5. He's "my little man" in front of the rest of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Finally found your blog! You are a great writer and I feel like I followed you around today! We remember yall and Neil at every family prayer.

    ReplyDelete