Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sandhill Mountain Biking

I didn't get the trash out today but I did get to go mountain biking.

This afternoon I rented a bike from the Army MWR (Morale Welfare & Recreation) office at a lake down the street from my house. I rode for a little over an hour and had a great time. While I was riding to get to the trailhead, I thought for sure I would face-plant on the gravel rode. Thank goodness I didn't because it wasn't small gravel-it was rocks of all sizes all over the place. It wouldn't have been pretty. I rode the green beginner's trail and it was perfect. Long enough to get a good workout, but not so difficult that I had to get off of my bike often to walk up and down hills. Perfect because it wasn't as scary as I remember it being while mt biking with Neil and friends.

While I can't actually remember exactly how my knees felt when I injured them or after surgery, I do remember that it was excruciating on both accounts. I am not very adventurous because I do not want to have to go through that again. And I really don't think I could afford to-who would take care of my kids if I'm limping around. Regardless, I do not have the "thrill-seeking McMullin gene" that Sydney inherited from Neil, Ann, Kristen, et al. Having said that, there was only one hill that I walked down. It was a somewhat steep, short hill that ended in a sand road. I thought for sure I would flip over my bike if the tire stuck in the sand at the bottom of the hill. I also envisioned myself lying on the ground with my bike twisted around me, calling out "I've fallen and I can't get up" but having no one around to get me back to my car. I'm at one with being a little bit of a fraidy cat. Since Neil agreed with me about the tire in the sand, at least I'm not a total chicken.

The hour went by so much faster than most exercise does and I can't wait to do it again. I can remember Kendra and I discussing exercise back in the day. She made some comment about how great it felt to move your body. At the time, I thought that she could say that because she didn't have to workout all the time to be as thin as she is. Now I realize that she just had a much healthier relationship with exercise and why it's worthwhile. I think about Kendra's comment every time I'm debating with myself about why physical fitness is a good investment of my time.

BTW, Neil is in a holding pattern waiting for a ride to the FOB (Forward Operating Base) where he will be stationed. Currently he's making sure he gets acclimatized to the altitude and trying to catch up on sleep and workouts.

The kids school has gone well the past few days. Zach doesn't like having to sit down so much, loves to get to eat 3 times during the school day, and enjoys computers. Ainsley and Sydney are making friends and getting to know the routine at the new school. They look adorable in their uniforms. They like their teachers and love to walk through the "Indiana Jones" path, as they have named it, to get to and from school each day. Zach even sings the theme song. It's a beautfiul forest trail that we get to walk along. We're starting all of their after school sports, so that is something fun to look forward to every day. At least they are all crashing when their heads hit the pillows at night.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've got such a great set-up! I remember when Neil and Brian took me mountain biking on my 18th birthday and I thought I was going to die. (I'm moderate in the thrill-seeking gene and definitely high on the accident-prone.) It sounds like a lot of fun, though! I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well. Thinking about you/praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should get you a Life Alert button to push in case you "fall and can't get up"! I don't remember that conversation, but I'm glad it still motivates you. It must have been motivating me during the 6 weeks every couple of years that I exercise. During a couple of biking excursions this summer, Brian and I were grateful to have the girls to "slow us down" so we didn't have to prove how out of shape we were!

    ReplyDelete