Monday, August 24, 2009

What's the fun day tomorrow?

When Sydney was two years old, she would ask me that question every night as I tucked her into bed. School starts tomorrow morning, and I am excited to make some fun plans for myself and Audrey. I think our big thrill tomorrow will be to take a walk at a nice trail nearby with some friends. However, I have huge plans in the works.

Let me explain that I absolutely loved my job as the BAMC Auxiliary's President last year. The work I did was so fulfilling, the people I worked with became great friends, and I learned more than I expected about the Army, the hospital, nonprofit organizations, and myself. In order to accomplish all that was required of me, though, any time I wasn't taking care of my kids, my life revolved around the Auxiliary and the hospital. Hectic is the word that I came up with to describe my life in such a way that didn't sound as negative as "I think I brushed my hair this morning." While I miss my friends and the work, I am enjoying the freedom of having no outside obligations.

While Neil is deployed, Audrey gets 16 free hours of child care a month. We call it "3 school" and it is my ticket to relaxation while Neil is away. So on Wednesday, I've made an appointment for Audrey to head over to school. Then I'm going to rent a mountain bike and go mountain biking with my iphone. (Please note that the term "mountain biking" is used loosely here. I'm starting with the "bunny slope" trail and will most likely end up walking anything that looks scary.)

Then next Monday, I'm going for a 2 hour walk on the cool walking trails, then horseback riding and to one of the museums on post. Another day I will drive to Raleigh to take Audrey to the children's museum. Apparently, Raleigh is the "Smithsonian of the South" because it has so many museums. I'll let you know how badly the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce was exaggerating, or if they weren't at all.

Anyway, you get the picture. I'm looking forward to a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment